Ways to donate
You can give on CHIMP with the following donation options. Please note our processing fees. If you need a hand with your donation, please contact us below or call us at 1-877-531-0580. We’re here to help!
IN THIS ARTICLE: Credit Cards | Cheques | Securities
Donating online by credit card is the easiest and most convenient way to give. We accept Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.
Charges will appear as "CHIMP FNDN* DONATION" on your credit card statement.
Please address cheques to CHIMP Foundation, include the recipient (ie: Giving Group name, account name) in the memo, and mail them to us at:
Suite 1250 - 1500 West Georgia Street
Please also include a note with your email address so that we can email your tax receipt to you.
If you would like your donation to be made anonymously, please indicate this preference in the memo line as well. Otherwise, your name will be shared with the recipient by default.
Donating securities is the most tax-effective way to give. We gladly accept gifts of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other securities. The tax benefits of donating securities are far greater than the tax benefits of donating cash (credit card and cheque).
How it's done
- Fill out a Letter of Direction that your broker provides you (or download this one).
- Send a copy to your broker who will initiate the transfer of securities.
- Send a copy to us at CHIMP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a copy to CHIMP's broker:
Julia Cheng, Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management
- Sign up for a personal CHIMP Account if you don’t have one already.
- When the securities are received, they will be sold as soon as possible. The proceeds resulting from the sale will then be deposited into your personal CHIMP Account.
Example of tax savings
We’ll use John Jones as an example. He lives in Ontario and falls into their 46.4% tax bracket. He owns $5,000 worth of stock X. Below is a chart to show you how beneficial it is for John to donate stock X through CHIMP, rather than selling the stock and donating the money he made from the sale.
Sell Shares and Donates the Cash
Donate Shares Through CHIMP
|Current value of shares||$5,000||$5,000|
|Original purchase price||$1,000||$1,000|
|Taxable portion of gain @50%||$2,000|
|Taxable portion of gain @0%||$0|
|Amount available for charity||$4,072||$5,000|
|Net tax savings||$1,392||$2,320|
|*Top tax rate|
Not all investments qualify for this tax benefit and are eligible if they are:
- Capital property in the hands of the donor
- Rights and debt obligations (typically bonds or debentures) that are listed on a prescribed stock exchange
- Shares of a Canadian public mutual fund corporation and units of a mutual fund trust
- Interests in a segregated fund trust
- A bond
- Note or mortgage of the Canadian federal or provincial governments
At this time, CHIMP can only accept donations from donors with addresses in Canada and the United States. We also are not able to accept donations via PayPal or direct debit.
Prescribed stock exchanges generally include the Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange, Montreal Exchange and most major foreign stock exchanges such as New York and NASDAQ.
Contact us with any questions at email@example.com.